Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Olympus Launches Compact E-420 D-SLR
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., March 5, 2008 – Olympus today announces the extremely portable E-420 – perfect for everyone who wants to step up to the power and performance of a digital SLR (single lens reflex) yet enjoy the ease of use and ability to compose images on the LCD common to point-and-shoot cameras. Weighing a mere 380 grams (13.4 ounces), the E-420 is 20 to 40 percent lighter than competing DSLRs. Good things come in this small package, including Live View, which enables users to hold the camera away from their faces and interact with their subjects – ideal when capturing photos of children, for example.
This lightweight 10-megapixel DSLR offers heavyweight technologies,
including a bigger, more viewable 2.7-inch LCD and consumer-friendly
fast On-Screen Autofocus, Face Detection, Shadow Adjustment Technology
and Perfect Shot Preview to get the most out of the Live View
experience. Additionally, when it comes to Live View, not all LCDs are
created equal. At 2.7-inches, the portable E-420 LCD is large enough
for users to compose and review images without squinting. The small
camera's LCD is not just larger, it is part of a camera with
technologies intelligent enough to take advantage of the Live View
photography experience. These innovative technologies include:
• On-Screen Autofocus works as seamlessly as a point-and-shoot to display subjects in focus on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way;
• Face Detection Technology targets and locks on up to eight faces to ensure they are in focus and crystal clear for amazing portraits;
• New and Improved HyperCrystal II™ Technology delivers twice the contrast and better viewing in extreme lighting conditions, a broader range of color detail, and a wider angle of view on the LCD so you and your friends can see it up to 176 degrees off-center;
• Shadow Adjustment Technology captures detail in the bright areas of a frame and opens up detail in the shadows that other cameras would render too dark or underexposed; and
• Perfect Shot Preview enables you to view and select your favorite effect right on the LCD, and see how the image will look before you even capture it, so you know that what you see is what you get.
“The Olympus E-420 delivers the professional-grade image quality of a digital SLR with the simple operation of a point-and-shoot camera,” said John Knaur, senior marketing manager - DSLR, Olympus Imaging America Inc. “Thanks to the camera's small size and lightweight body, users can take the E-420 everywhere, and they will never miss another shot because the of the camera's straightforward controls. Additionally, our innovative technologies help consumers get more from Live View.”
World's Smallest Digital SLR
A camera designed to be held away from the face lets you take great photographs without weighing you down. The E-420 is small enough to fit into a purse or a jacket pocket and light enough to shoot with comfortably all day. Measuring 5.1 inches by 3.6 inches by 2.1 inches (excluding protrusions), it is the world's smallest digital SLR. And at a featherweight 13.4 ounces, only its predecessor (E-410) weighs less. The E-420's new ergonomic grip on the front of the body allows for easier one-handed operation and ensures a secure hold in the most challenging shooting conditions.
One of the World's Thinnest Lenses Meets the World's Most Compact DSLR
The world's smallest DSLR deserves a similarly compact lens, and Olympus has it: the ultra compact Zuiko 25mm f2.8 digital specific lens. This 0.9 inch-thick lens offers a fixed 50mm equivalent angle of view. Together with the E-420, the Zuiko 25mm f2.8 lens will offer the ultimate combination of ease of use and portability.