Fujifilm just launched a new flagship X Series mirrorless camera, the 26MP X-H2S. The new Fuji X-H2S is the follow-up (or what Fujifilm calls the “spiritual successor”) to the 24.3MP X-H1 from 2018.
Fujifilm says the new X-H2S is “the first APS-C digital camera of its kind” to feature the company’s 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 5 HS imaging sensor. The new chip is “a stacked, back-side illuminated imaging sensor with a signal reading speed up to four times faster than Fujifilm’s previous X-Trans CMOS 4.”
The benefit of this new sensor is it makes the Fuji X-H2S fast enough for both high-speed photography and for capturing 4K video with high-speed rolling shutter to prevent distortion. Also contributing to the X-H2S’ speedy performance is the new X-Processor 5, which doubles the camera’s processing power compared to the older X-Processor 4.
According to Fujifilm, this “greatly enhances overall image fidelity at lower ISOs and reduces noise at higher ISOs.” The X-H2S also adds subject-detection autofocus (AF) with an AI processor, which is designed to increase the tracking speed and accuracy of the camera’s ability to lock in on moving subjects for sharper image results.
All this new “under the hood” tech in the Fujifilm X-H2S makes it a true hybrid camera, according to Fujifilm, capable of capturing pro-quality photos and videos.
“For video, X-Processor 5 enables the recording of 10-bit 4:2:2 video in resolutions up to 6.2K/30P and frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/240p,” Fujifilm said.
“Support for professional codecs, like Apple ProRes HQ/ Pro Res 422/ Pro Res LT, provide incredible flexibility within post-production workflows, while also minimizing power consumption, thereby extending the camera’s maximum video recording time up to 240 minutes.”
Fujifilm X-H2S Key Specifications
- 26MP stacked BSI CMOS sensor with high speed rolling shutter
- X-Processor 5
- EVF 0.8, 24mm eye point, 5.76M dot, 120 fps
- 3-inch rear, vari-angle (side-swiveling) 1.62M-dot LCD screen
- 15 fps mechanical shutter/40 fps electronic shutter blackout-free burst shooting
- 1/8000th second top speed mechanical shutter (500K cycles lifetime)
- 7 stops IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilization)
- High speed video – 4K/120p, 6.2K/30P, HD-240P in Apple ProRes internally in 10-bit at 4:2:2, 14-stop dynamic range
- High Speed AF – New Deep Learning AI adaptive autofocus algorithm (subject detection)
- High frame rate – Up to 7 stops of IBIS, 15fps MS, 40fps ES, high-capacity buffer
- High end video – Records ProRes Raw and Blackmagic Raw through HDMI using external recorder
- CFExpress typeB/UHS-II card slots
- 600 frames of battery life; 1700 frames with optional battery grip
- Weather resistant camera build
- HDMI type A/3.5mm Mic/3.5 headphone/USB-C/2.5mm remote release
- Network communication updates
Pricing & Availability
The Fujifilm X-H2S will go on sale in early July 2022 for $2499 USD and $3200 CAD.