OM Digital Solutions, the company formerly known as Olympus, introduced the compact and lightweight OM System OM-5 mirrorless digital camera this morning. The 20MP Micro Four Thirds sensor-based OM-5 is the successor to the E-M5 III, which came out in 2019 under the Olympus name.
Weighing just under 13 ounces, new OM-5 is sort of the “little brother” to the OM-1, which was introduced in February of this year as the flagship camera of the new OM Solutions brand. According to an OM Solutions press announcement this morning, the OM-5 is “a perfect companion for adventures big and small.”
The OM System OM-5 features a tough dustproof and splashproof camera body with freeze protection down to 14°F. “Ideal for those with an action-packed lifestyle, allowing worry-free photography in harsh environments that many other cameras cannot endure,” OM Solutions said.
Other features of the OM-5 include the computational photography-based 50MP Handheld High Res Shot and Live ND, along with support for vertical video playback on smartphones. There’s also 5-axis image stabilization to help get sharp images even if your hands shake.
The OM-5 will be available in silver and black color schemes in late-November 2022 in the following configurations and pricing: OM System OM-5 Body Only: $1,199.99 (US); $1,699.99 (CAD); OM System OM-5 Body with 12-45mm F4.0 PRO Lens Kit: $1,599.99 (US); $2,199.99 (CAD).
OM System OM-5 Key Features
• Compact and lightweight camera body meets IP531 dust- and splashproof standard
• Freezeproof down to 14°F
• Up to 7.5EV steps image stabilization via a in-body 5-Axis image stabilizer
• High Quality and Vertical Video Recording
• TruePix IX image processor
• Computational Photography Features:
– 50MP Hand-Held Hi-Res Mode
– Live ND
– PRO Capture mode
– Focus Stacking
– Live Composite
– Starry Sky AF
• 121-point all cross-type on-chip Phase Detection AF
• Weight: 12.91 ounces (camera body only)