The German manufacturer, Metz, is replacing its the mecablitz 26 AF-1 digital compact system flash with the mecablitz 26 AF-2, which has a number of enhanced features. The new flash will have a metal base, allowing it to be setup in slave operation. It will also be upgradeable with the lastest software for newer cameras.
For more details check out the full press release below. — Scott Younker
Compact flash unit “Made in Germany” for smart flash satisfaction
Zirndorf – The Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 is the new compact system flash unit from Metz. The device can achieve a guide number of 26 at ISO 100/21° and a focal length of 85mm, and provides much higher performance and more versatile lighting possibilities than an integrated camera flash. Features include a wide-angle diffuser (24mm), up to 85mm illumination with the included telephoto diffuser, a vertically tilting reflector for an indirect flash and an adjust- able LED video light, which creates additional illumination when shooting video. Depending on the camera, the Metz 26 AF-2 with slave mode also offers wireless TTL flash. Unlike its predecessor, this flash unit comes with a stand, and can thus be positioned for slave operation away from the camera. The device can be operated intuitively using illuminated function keys – ideal for flash novices.
Compact build and unique design
Thanks to its compact build and unique design, the mecablitz 26 AF-2 is perfectly suited to compact system cameras and compact cameras with a flash shoe. The device is the ideal companion for on-the-go and can even be stowed in a shirt pocket.
Like all mecablitz system flash units, this new flash is perfectly tailored to digital cameras made by leading manufacturers. Variants are available for Canon, Nikon, Olympus/Panasonic/Leica, Pentax, Sony and Fujifilm. With the mecablitz 26 AF-2 you can of course use, besides numerous own special features, the sophisticated flash lighting technology** of the particular system cameras.
Prepared for the future
To ensure that the unit is always up to date, software updates can be conveniently downloaded via the USB interface. Therefore, the Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 will remain compatible with new camera models launched onto the market.
Technical specifications mecablitz 26 AF-2
- High max. guide number 26 for ISO 100 and 85 mm
- High flash numbers e. g. 160 full flashes with lithium batteries (1,5 V)
- Flash delay from 0.3 seconds (depending on energy source and flash output)
- Simple operating concept with Status LED
- Vertical (+90°) swivel reflector
- Integrated wide-angle diffuser for 24 mm illumination
- Flash readiness indicator and correct exposure display on unit and on camera
- Automatic unit shut-off
- AF-assist light
- Wake-up function by camera
- Metal base* with quick lock
- High-performance LED video light
- 30 Lux / 1 m
- Adjustable in 2 increments
- TTL-flash mode (digital only)
- Automatic fill-in flash
- 1st and 2nd shutter curtain synchronisation**
- Pre-flash for red-eye reduction**
- 2 x AAA alkaline-magnesium or lithium batteries
- 2 x AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries
Available in stores from the end of April.
- * Not for version Sony Multi Interface
** Dependent on camera function