“The Nikon EN-EL15 battery pack is provided as a supplied accessory with the purchase of Nikon’s digital SLR D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 cameras and the Nikon 1 V1 advanced camera with interchangeable lens. However, EN-EL15 batteries supplied with D810A, D810, D610, D600, D500, D7200, D7100 are not included in this voluntary recall. It is also sold separately at retail under Nikon’s model number 27011. The EN-EL15 battery pack involved in this recall was first distributed by Nikon in March 2012 and is still being sold at retail.
“No other Nikon battery packs are involved in this recall.
“Nikon’s digital SLR D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 cameras and the Nikon 1 V1 advanced camera with interchangeable lens as well as any other Nikon cameras are also not subject to this recall.”
The first step is to determine if your EN-EL15 battery pack is affected:
- Confirm that “EN-EL15” is printed on the label of your battery pack
- Locate the 14-digit lot number beside the recycle symbol
- If the 9th character of the lot number is E or F, your battery is among those being recalled; if the 9th character of the lot number is any other letter, your battery is not affected by this recall
- If your EN-EL15 battery pack isn’t affected, no further action is required
If your EN-EL15 battery pack is affected, Nikon asks that you take the following steps:
- Immediately remove the battery from your camera or camera bag, but do not dispose of it
- Complete Nikon’s online EN-EL15 battery exchange form—here’s a link to the Nikon service advisory web page
- Once your request is processed, Nikon will send a confirmation email
- UPS will contact you by phone and email with notification of delivery
- A UPS courier will deliver a new battery pack(s) and collect the recalled battery pack(s)
- Someone must be present for the exchange
All the information on the updated Nikon EN-EL15 Battery Pack Technical Service Advisory can be found here. Nikon is asking consumers with any additional questions and concerns to call 1-800-645-6687.