Today, Sony announced a new lens for its full-line of full-frame and APS-C mirrorless cameras: The FE 35mm F1.8 prime lens. Small, compact and lightweight, Sony says this new 35mm lens is ideal for portrait, street photography, landscape, candids and near-macro photos, as well.
Sony makes a number of claims for the features on this lens, which we’ll be sure to test when we get the lens in to review:
- It has large-aperture full-frame performance in a very compact, lightweight lens. Sony also says this lens can be used for full-frame and APS-C models. (On an APS-C camera, the lens would have an equivalent focal length of 52.5mm .)
- It produces images and video with outstanding corner-to-corner image quality.
- The lens has versatile controls and handling for a wide range of imaging needs.
- It’s constructed to have quiet autofocus with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills.
- It also has a minimum focus distance of just under 9 inches, which allows you to capture near macro-type images.
In terms of the construction of the lens, Sony is including an aspherical lens in the construction of the lens, to suppress aberration and to have sharp center-to-corner focus. It also has some nice controls, including a AF-to-manual focus switch and a customizable focus-hold button. There are also weather seals on the lens, to minimize dust and moisture from getting into the lens.
The new lens isn’t cheap, though: The FE 35mm F1.8 will ship in late August for a suggested retail price of approximately $750.
For more information on the new lens, see the press release below.
[[ press release ]]
Sony Electronics Boosts Full-frame Lens Line-up with Introduction of FE 35mm F1.8 Lightweight Prime
SAN DIEGO —July 9, 2019 —Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the latest addition to its E-mount full-frame lens line-up with the introduction of the FE 35mm F1.8 wide-angle prime lens, model SEL35F18F.
The compact dimensions and lightweight of this full-frame, large-aperture lens provide mobility and convenience for shooting a wide range of subjects, such as everyday snapshots, food photography, landscapes, night scenes and more. The new lens provides outstanding corner-to-corner image quality, while its quiet autofocus and tenacious tracking performance make it a great choice for both stills and movie shooting. Additionally, its compact form makes it an appealing choice for both APS-C body users, offering a 52.5mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras.
“Our E-mount lens lineup now includes 34 full-frame models and 52 lenses in total,” said Neal Manowitz, deputy president of Imaging Products and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “The new 35mm prime combines outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness with a compact design, making it an ideal choice for a wide range of shooters. Sony will continue to develop and expand its imaging lineup, giving creators more options than ever before to realize their vision.”
High-resolution and large-aperture, full-frame performance in compact and lightweight lens
- Large F1.8 maximum aperture, weighing in at just 280 grams and measuring 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length); this new lens sets a new standard for portability
- Advanced optical construction, including an aspherical element to suppress aberration and deliver high resolution throughout the entire image frame; 9-blade circular aperture enhances beautiful bokeh
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m and maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography
Versatile control and handling for a wide range of imaging needs
- Conveniently placed, customizable focus hold button and a focus mode switch for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design add to the versatility and reliability of this new lens and invoke a feeling of confidence in the user
Quiet AF with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills
- Fast, precise and quiet linear-motor AF drive system for both stills and continuous focus control
Pricing and Availability
The FE 35mm F1.8 will ship in August 2019 for approximately $750 and will be sold at a variety of Sony’s authorized dealers throughout North America.
A variety of exclusive stories and exciting new content shot with the new lens and Sony’s other imaging products can be found at www.alphauniverse.com, a site created to educate and inspire all fans and customers of Sony’s α- Alpha brand.
About Sony Electronics Inc.
Sony Electronics is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America and an affiliate of Sony Corporation (Japan), one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world, with a portfolio that encompasses electronics, music, motion pictures, mobile, gaming, robotics and financial services. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Sony Electronics is a leader in electronics for the consumer and professional markets. Operations include research and development, engineering, sales, marketing, distribution and customer service. Sony Electronics creates products that innovate and inspire generations, such as the award-winning Alpha Interchangeable Lens Cameras and revolutionary high-resolution audio products. Sony is also a leading manufacturer of end-to-end solutions from 4K professional broadcast and A/V equipment to industry leading 4K and 8K Ultra HD TVs. Visit http://www.sony.com/news for more information.